Cute

Friday, April 21, 2017

Who are you now? How has motherhood changed you?

I stumbled across an interesting article which discussed how women lose themselves in parenthood. It made me really sit back and think for a moment about myself and how I have changed and I realized I am not who I was ten years ago. I mean of course I am not the same person, but my hobbies and my ideas of fun have severely declined. In your twenties, the hope for the unknown and the possibilities could alone drive you day to day. I mean when has a Friday night really felt like the old Friday night days? Hitting the town with friends, dancing, parties, and knowing we could sleep in the next day till noon. It seems like a distant memory to me these days, but honestly, as I age I don't miss those times. I miss feeling like I knew who I was and what I enjoyed doing with my free time. Oh, there it is....free time? what is that? Is that the answer to why we lose the hobbies and passions we once had? I long for a day where I can relish in free-time activities. I have about five books that I have made half way through that sit on my shelf staring at me like a skeleton of another thing that needs to be accomplished. So my question stands, what are my hobbies? what do I enjoy doing?

Ten years ago I would have said that I love to ride horses, craft, go to the movies, and be amongst friends. It can sometimes feel like being a mom is the one answer that completes all of the questions.
I decided to really sit down and think about things that I truly enjoy, and this is what I came up with;

- I love spending time with my kids doing fun and goofy things
- I love listening to music and dancing with my children

Do you see the trend so far? Keyword includes "my kids." So my new rule was I had to come up with a list that did not include my children. I know I love my children and sharing things with them. Ok so the new list began as follows:

- I love music, and I love going to concerts
- I love going to the movies and escaping into a different world
- I enjoy going to a play or a musical
- I enjoy writing
- I enjoy being active by riding a bike or going for a walk
- I enjoy spending time with friends

Every time I look at this list, I feel like I am drafting a personal advertisement. All humor aside, it really made me take a hard look at things that I actually enjoy for myself. I didn't realize that I had so many?! The article that I read said that as we get older, we have to actually make a list for ourselves to ensure we get our own personal time for the things we love aside from our children. I desperately want to know if anyone has attempted this type of initiative? and what results came from it so far?
I am beginning my initiative today, and I will begin to do work on integrating the things that make me happy into my weekly activities.  I really hope I can stick to this, so we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment